Does your home have too many electrical devices and too few outlets to plug them all in? Chances are you’re using extension cords to power up your electrical devices. However, electrical cords can become fire hazards when misused. So, we curated some guidelines that will be helpful for safe use in your home or business.
17 Tips For Safely Using an Extension Cord
- Purchase only cords approved by an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Don’t overload extension cords with too many appliances. The cord can overheat and possibly cause a fire.
- Plug major appliances directly into a wall receptacle outlet, such as refrigerators, dryers, and washers.
- Check the maximum capacity of the extension cord and appliance or tool you’re using, and make sure you don’t exceed it.
- Fully insert the plug of an extension cord (or any plug for that matter) into an outlet.
- Unplug cords when you’re not using them. To safely unplug a cord, pull on the plug, NOT on the cord itself.
- Use extension cords only temporarily. Don’t substitute them for permanent wiring.
- Never run cords through water or snow to avoid the high risk of electric shock.
- Don’t run cords through ceilings, walls, doorways, or floors.
- Keep cords out of the path of foot traffic to prevent tripping.
- If you use too many extension cords, there may be too few outlets in your home. Have a qualified electrician install additional outlets.
- Avoid chaining multiple extension cords – plug cords directly into mounted electrical receptacles and use cords that are long enough for your needs.
- Never use indoor extension cords outdoors. Only use the cords marked for outdoor use.
- Inspect cords before using them. If a cord heats up or is damaged in any way, discard it.
- Always use cords with polarized and/or three-prong plugs. Don’t force a three-prong plug into two-prong outlets. Don’t remove or bend the ground pin to force a fit.
- When using cord-bundling devices, avoid cramming cords together to prevent damaging the cord’s insulation.
- Never use staples or nails to attach cords to a surface like a wall to prevent puncturing the cord’s insulation.
Contact PuroFirst For Fire Restoration Services
Electrical fires are dangerous, but by following these tips, you can minimize the risk they pose to your home or business. For professional smoke damage repair or fire damage
clean-up, contact PuroFirst at (760) 245-5545