There may be no more convenient way to heat food than using a microwave oven. Even the most novice of chefs can feel like Wolfgang Puck just by hitting a few buttons. However, using one can pose a fire hazard if you are not careful. So, take precautions to mitigate the risk.

Follow These Tips When Using a Microwave Oven

  • Always follow the manufacturer’s installation and operating instructions and safety precautions before using a new oven.
  • Never use an extension cord. Plug your microwave oven directly into a wall socket.
  • Always supervise children when they are using a microwave oven.
  • To minimize the risk of fire, use only microwave-safe food containers or dishes. Never use aluminum foil or metal. The metal can spark a fire.
  • Never attempt to dry or sterilize baby bottles, clothes, or blankets in an oven, as these may result in a fire once removed from the oven.
  • Reduce fire potential by cleaning the microwave oven regularly.  Always unplug the oven when cleaning and clean the inside and outer edge of the microwave.
  • Never use recycled paper unless it is specifically approved for microwave use. Recycled products, including paper towels, have minute metal flecks; these can cause sparks and even flames.
  • When cooking popcorn, heat according to the instructions, begin with the minimum time specified, as some ovens can scorch popcorn in as little as two minutes.

Contact PuroFirst For Fire & Smoke Restoration Services

If your oven does catch fire, turn it off immediately and unplug the power cord if it is safe to do so. Do not open the door and wait until the fire dies out. Following these safety tips can help you avoid a potentially dangerous disaster. And, if your home requires fire & smoke damage restoration service, contact PuroFirst in Victorville at (760) 245-5545.